(250) 741-5644, renowned Russian scientist,
was one of the founders of the Institute of Nuclear
Problems (1948) and later of the Joint Institute
for Nuclear Research in Dubna,
where he was director (1956-1988)
and since 1988 honorary director
of the Laboratory of Nuclear Problems.
His long path in science is marked by many bright results.
He constructed the then (1949) world largest 680 MeV
He obtained pioneer data in nucleon-nucleon and
pion-nucleon interactions, in capture of negative muons by protons,
in electron decay of negative pions;
new results were achieved in
multiple production of strange and neutral
particles and hypercharge-exchange reactions
in high-energy physics experiments.
He was the first to obtain the fundamental,
now classical, experimental results
in physics of muon molecules and of muon-catalysed nuclear fusion of
heavy hydrogen isotopes.
It is he who initiated and supervised the construction
of Russia's first clinico-physical complex based on
the synchrocyclotron of the Laboratory of Nuclear Problems
for proton treatment of cancer and for space medicine.
He was a corresponding member of the Russian Academy of
Sciences, for many decades one of the leaders of the
Nuclear Physics Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Being a member of IUPAP commissions, ICFA and editorial boards of highly
authoritative scientific journals,
he made a substantial contribution to
the development of the international scientific cooperation.
Many eminent scientists in Russia and other countries
learned much by working with V.P.Dzhelepov.